Clinical Faculty Management of the Challenges of Being a Guest in Clinical Settings: An Exploratory Study
Clinical experience is a critical component of basic nursing education. Little research has focused on the perspectives of clinical faculty (CF) who engage in practical nursing education in challenging clinical settings associated with increased patient acuity and complexity.
The aim of this qualitative study was to understand CF's perspectives of what supports and hinders their ability to foster baccalaureate nursing students' clinical education.
Findings indicate challenges related to CF being viewed as “guests” in the clinical settings, complicating communication with nursing staff about constructive learning experiences. CF receive support from other CF to assist in balancing student priorities and developing relationships with clinical staff .
CF success was linked to how well they advance the view of students and themselves as being an integral part of the nursing team. Further research is needed to understand how CF use their social capital to advance clinical nursing education. [J Nurs Educ. 2016;55(2):91–95.]
- Adler P.S., Kwon S.-W. (2002). Social capital: Prospects for a new concept. The Academy of Management Review, 27, 17–40. > CrossrefGoogle Scholar
- Andrews C.E., Ford K. (2013). Clinical facilitator learning and development needs: Exploring the why, what and how. Nurse Education in Practice, 13, 413–417.
10.1016/j.nepr.2013.01.002> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Ard N., Rogers K., Vinten S. (2008). Summary of the survey on clinical education in nursing. Nursing Education Perspectives, 29, 238–245. > MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Babenko-Mould Y., Iwasiw C.L., Andrusyszyn M.A., Laschinger H.K., Weston W. (2012). Effects of clinical practice environments on clinical teacher and nursing student outcomes. Journal of Nursing Education, 51, 217–225.
10.3928/01484834-20120323-06> LinkGoogle Scholar
- Bell-Scriber M.J., Morton A.M. (2009). Clinical instruction: Train the trainer. Nurse Educator, 34, 84–87.
10.1097/NNE.0b013e31819ae753> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Brown J., Nolan M., Davies S., Nolan J., Keady J. (2008). Transforming students' views of gerontological nursing: Realising the potential of ‘enriched’ environments of learning and care: A multi-method longitudinal study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 45, 1214–1232.
10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2007.07.002> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Cangelosi P.R., Crocker S., Sorrell J.M. (2009). Expert to novice: Clinicians learning new roles as clinical educators. Nursing Education Perspectives, 30, 367–371. http://dx.doi.org/10.1043/1536-5026-30.6.367 > MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Cranford J.S. (2013). Bridging the gap: Clinical practice nursing and the effect of role strain on successful role transition and intent to stay in academia. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 10(1), 1–7.
10.1515/ijnes-2012-0018> CrossrefGoogle Scholar
- Croxon L., Maginnis C. (2009). Evaluation of clinical teaching models for nursing practice. Nurse Education in Practice, 9, 236–243.
10.1016/j.nepr.2008.06.004> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Dahlke S., Baumbusch J., Affleck F., Kwon J.Y. (2012). The clinical instructor role in nursing education: A structured literature review. Journal of Nursing Education, 51, 692–696.
10.3928/01484834-20121022-01> LinkGoogle Scholar
- DeWolfe J.A., Laschinger S., Perkin C. (2010). Preceptors' perspectives on recruitment, support, and retention of preceptors. Journal of Nursing Education, 29, 198–206.
10.3928/01484834-20091217-06> LinkGoogle Scholar
- Fedarko N.S. (2011). The biology of aging and frailty. Clinical Geriatric Medicine, 27, 27–37.
10.1016/j.cger.2010.08.006> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Foley V.C., Myrick F., Yonge O. (2012). A phenomenological perspective on preceptorship in the intergenerational context. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 9(1), 1–23.
10.1515/1548-923X.2452> CrossrefGoogle Scholar
- Forbes M.O., Hickey M.T., White J. (2010). Adjunct faculty development: Reported needs and innovative solutions. Journal of Professional Nursing, 26, 116–124.
10.1016/j.profnurs.2009.08.001> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Gazza E.A., Shellenbarger T. (2005). Successful enculturation: Strategies for retaining newly hired nursing faculty. Nurse Educator, 30, 251–254.
10.1097/00006223-200511000-00009> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Henderson A., Twentyman M., Eaton E., Creedy D., Stapleton P., Lloyd B. (2010). Creating supportive clinical learning environments: An intervention study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19, 177–182.
10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.02841.x> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Heshmati-Nabavi F., Vanaki Z. (2010). Professional approach: The key feature of effective clinical educator in Iran. Nurse Education Today, 30, 163–168.
10.1016/j.nedt.2009.07.010> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Hossein K.M., Fatemeh D., Fatemeh O.S., Katri V.J., Tahereh B. (2010). Teaching style in clinical nursing education: A qualitative study of Iranian nursing teachers' experiences. Nurse Education in Practice, 10, 8–12.
10.1016/j.nepr.2009.01.016> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Levett-Jones T., Lathlean J. (2008). Belongingness: A prerequisite for nursing students' clinical learning. Nurse Education in Practice, 8, 103–111.
10.1016/j.nepr.2007.04.003> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Lincoln Y.S., Guba E.G. (1985). Naturalistic inquiry. Newbury Park, CA: Sage. > CrossrefGoogle Scholar
- Loiselle C.G., Profetto-McGrath J. (2011). Canadian essentials of nursing research (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. > Google Scholar
- Mårtensson G., Engström M., Mamhidir A.G., Kristofferzon M.L. (2013). What are the structural conditions of importance to preceptors' performance?Nurse Education Today, 33, 444–449.
10.1016/j.nedt.2012.04.015> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- O'Mara L., McDonald J., Gillespie M., Brown H., Miles L. (2014). Challenging clinical learning environments: Experiences of undergraduate nursing students. Nurse Education in Practice, 14, 208–213. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2013.08.012
10.1016/j.nepr.2013.08.012> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Papathanasiou I.V., Tsaras K., Sarafis P. (2014). Views and perceptions of nursing students on their clinical learning environment: Teaching and learning. Nurse Education Today, 34, 57–60.
10.1016/j.nedt.2013.02.007> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Peters K., Halcomb E.J., McInnes S. (2013). Clinical placements in general practice: Relationships between practice nurses and tertiary institution. Nurse Education in Practice, 13, 186–191.
10.1016/j.nepr.2012.09.007> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Raines D.A. (2012). Nurse preceptors' views of precepting undergraduate nursing students. Nursing Education Perspectives, 33, 76–79. http://dx.doi.org/10.5480/1536-5026-33.2.76
10.5480/1536-5026-33.2.76> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Rodney P., Kadyschuk S., Liaschenko J., Brown H., Musto L., Snyder N. (2013). Moral agency: Relational connections and support. In (2013). Perceived clinical constraints in the nurse student–instructor interactions: A qualitative study. Nurse Education in Practice, 13, 546–552.
10.1016/j.nepr.2013.05.006> CrossrefGoogle Scholar
- Tanda R., Denham S.A. (2009). Clinical instruction and student outcomes. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 4, 139–147.
10.1016/j.teln.2009.01.002> CrossrefGoogle Scholar
- Whalen K.S. (2009). Work-related stressors experienced by part-time clinical affiliate nursing faculty in baccalaureate education. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 6(1), Article 30.
10.2202/1548-923X.1813> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Wiens S., Babenko-Mould Y., Iwasiw C. (2014). Clinical instructors' perceptions of structural and psychological empowerment in academic nursing environments. Journal of Nursing Education, 53, 265–270.
10.3928/01484834-20140421-01> LinkGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2013). WHO nursing and midwifery progress report: 2008–2012. Geneva, Switzerland: Author. > Google Scholar