Learning to care for patients with mental health concerns is an important part of nursing school. Teaching mental health concepts across the nursing curriculum, rather than in just one course, prepares students for meeting the mental health needs of all clients. This article describes the integration of mental health concepts throughout an accelerated bachelor of science in nursing program.
Faculty developed an innovative approach to integrate mental health throughout the curriculum in lieu of a stand-alone course.
Quantitative metrics remained consistent when comparing cohorts before and after the integration of mental health. However, students did not recognize mental health content within the program.
Integrating mental health concepts in the prelicensure nursing curriculum enables students to learn and understand how to care for clients with mental health concerns in any clinical setting. [J Nurs Educ. 2020;59(7):405–408.]
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2008). The essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice. https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/Publications/BaccEssentials08.pdf > Google Scholar
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association. (2019). Expanding mental health care services in America: The pivotal role of psychiatric-mental health nurses. https://www.apna.org/files/public/Resources/Workforce_Development_Report_Final_Draft_6_25.pdf > Google Scholar
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association & International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses. (2008). Essentials of psychiatric mental health nursing in the BSN curriculum. https://www.apna.org/files/public/revmay08finalCurricular_Guidelines_for_Undergraduate_Education_in_Psychiatric_Mental_Health_Nursing.pdf > Google Scholar
- Barry S., Ward L. (2017). Undergraduate nursing students' understandings of mental health: A review of the literature. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 38(2), 160–175. > Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Benjenk I., Buchongo P., Amaize A., Martinez G.S., Chen J. (2019). Overcoming the dual stigma of mental illness and aging: Preparing new nurses to care for the mental health needs of older adults. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 27(7), 664–674.
10.1016/j.jagp.2018.12.028> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Brussow J.A., Roberts K., Scaruto M., Sommer S., Mills C. (2019). Concept-based curricula: A national study of critical concepts. Nurse Educator, 44(1), 15–19
10.1097/NNE.0000000000000515> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- de Cates A.N., de Cates P., Singh S.P., Marwaha S. (2019). Can curriculum design influence medical students' attitudes to psychiatry? A comparison of two different approaches. Medical Teacher, 41(8), 939–948. > Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Happell B., Gaskins C.J. (2013). The attitudes of undergraduate nursing students towards mental health nursing: A systematic review. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 22(1–2), 148–158.
10.1111/jocn.12022> Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Kverno K. (2016). Promoting access through integrated mental health care education. The Open Nursing Journal, 10(suppl 1: MS), 73–77 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4895028/pdf/TONURSJ-10-73.pdf > Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Loveland L. (2016). Mental health nursing education: An instructor's view. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 22(5), 409–410. > Crossref MedlineGoogle Scholar
- Lutterman T., Shaw R., Fisher W., Manderscheid R. (2017). Trend in psychiatric inpatient capacity, United States and each state, 1970 to 2014. National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors. https://www.nasmhpd.org/sites/default/files/TAC.Paper_.10.Psychiatric%20Inpatient%20Capacity_Final.pdf > Google Scholar
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing. (2012). NCLEX-RN test plans. https://www.ncsbn.org/nclex.htm > Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2019). What is mental health? https://www.mentalhealth.gov/basics/what-is-mental-health > Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (n.d.) Nursing matters fact sheet: Developing nursing resources for mental health. https://www.who.int/mental_health/policy/icn_who_factsheet_mnh_nursing_english.pdf > Google Scholar