Wavefront Aberrations From Corneal Ectasia After Laser in situ Keratomileusis Demonstrated by InterWave Aberrometry
PURPOSE: To report a case of corneal ectasia after laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK). The patient presented with minimal alterations in manifest refraction but had obvious distortions in the wavefront error of the eye, as demonstrated by InterWave aberrometry.
METHODS: Retrospective case report and literature review.
RESULTS: Three years following uneventful and initially successful LASIK and two subsequent enhancement procedures, a patient experienced a decrease in uncorrected and best spectacle-corrected visual acuity with only minor changes in manifest refraction and initially subtle changes on corneal topography. InterWave aberrometry showed a wavefront distortion consistent with progressive steepening of the anterior cornea, reflecting possible development of corneal ectasia.
CONCLUSIONS: InterWave aberrometry in conjunction with corneal topography was useful for early recognition of the development of corneal ectasia after LASIK. [J Refract Surg 2004;20: 170-175]
- 1. Randleman JB, Russell B, Ward MA, Thompson KP, Stulting RD. Risk factors and prognosis for corneal ectasia after laser in situ keratomileusis. Ophthalmology 2003; 110:267-275. Google Scholar
- 2. Webb RH, Penney CM, Thompson KP. Measurement of ocular wavefront distortion with a spatially resolved refractometer. Applied Optics 1992;31:3678-3686. Google Scholar
- 3. Thompson KP, Staver PR, Garcia JR, Burns SA, Webb R, Stulting RD. Using InterWave aberrometry to measure and improve the quality of vision in LASIK surgery. Ophthalmology (in press). Google Scholar
- 4. Seiler T, Koufala K, Richter G. Iatrogenic corneal ectasia after laser in situ keratomileusis. J Refract Surg 1998; 14:312-317. Google Scholar
- 5. Joo C, Kim T. Corneal ectasia detected after laser in situ keratomileusis for correction of less than -12 diopters of myopia. J Cataract Refract Surg 2000;26:292-295. Google Scholar
- 6. McLeod S, Kisla T, Caro N, McMahon T. Iatrogenic keratoconus: corneal ectasia following laser in situ keratomileusis for myopia. Arch Ophthalmol 2000;118:282-284. Google Scholar
- 7. Schmitt-Bernard C, Lesage C, Arnaud B. Corneal ectasia induced by laser in situ keratomileusis in keratoconus. J Refract Surg 2000;16:368-370. Google Scholar
- 8. Lafond G, Bazin R, Lajoie C. Bilateral severe keratoconus after laser in situ keratomileusis in a patient with forme fruste keratoconus. J Cataract Refract Surg 2001;27: 1115-1118. Google Scholar
- 9. Argento C, Cosentino MJ, Tytiun A, Rapetti G, Zarate J. Corneal ectasia after laser in situ keratomileusis. J Cataract Refract Surg 2001;27:1440-1448. Google Scholar
- 10. Pallikaris IG, Kymionis GD, Astyrakakis NI. Corneal ectasia induced by laser in situ keratomileusis. J Cataract Refract Surg 2001;27:1796-1802. Google Scholar